You’ve made that big step toward bettering your future by starting an online MBA program, but you are also still working a full-time job to keep your life going while you are in the process of finishing your education. Between coursework, employer expectations, and other life demands, it is easy to get a bad case of burnout and feel stressed.
Signs You’re Not Taking Enough Time to Destress and Relax
The thing about burnout is, sometimes you don’t realize just how close you are to completely dropping the ball until you are caught up in the middle of a totally stressful and tedious schedule. According to Psychology Today, there are usually a few telltale signs that you are not getting enough time to simply unwind. A few of those signs include:
- Being forgetful or absent-minded
- Having poor concentration
- Chronic fatigue
- Feeling irritable or angry
- Problems with anxiety and depression
In addition, burnout can also cause physical symptoms that are related to chronic stress. For example, you may suddenly be more prone to catching every illness that passes by because your immune system is not functioning as well as it should.
Practical Ways to Take a Breather and Get Back On Track
Getting back on track when you realize you are edging on burnout is a matter of taking a breather and penciling in some time for you to relax when you can. Even though it can be difficult to do when you have a full-time work and class schedule while pursuing your graduate degree, it is possible to steal a few moments and minutes here and there. A few practical things you can do that will not compromise your job or your responsibilities as a student include:
- Practice the art of diplomatically saying “no” to activities that are not high-value in regards to your current goals. For example, you may need to decline an extra shift if you are against a deadline in coursework.
- Pencil in time for a 20-minute walk several times a week to collect your thoughts and encourage stress relief
- Find ways to make your time more efficient, such as listening to an instructor’s podcast while on your way home from work
- Schedule at least one day off for yourself through the week by rearranging work and class schedules as much as possible
Even though it can be a challenge to work through college to get your graduate degree, it will all be work that is well worth it in the end. Make your next move and reach out to us at Georgia College for more information on how to obtain your online graduate business degree.